A blog from The Herald and www.thisisplymouth.co.uk

Friday 20 October 2006

October 20 2006

Wow. The Herald has gone from writing headlines to making them.

Our head camera footage from Sierra Leone has won the Herald and thisisplymouth praise and column inches in the national press, and has been recognised as a global exclusive innovation.

But more on that later.

I write this blog from the Internet Desk at the Radisson Hotel at Stansted Airport, while waiting for my flight to Venice. Huh, the life of a Web Editor. A bit like Hemingway, but without the bullfighting and suicide.

Just a brief blog to update, given that my last was filled with the doom and gloom of Friday 13th.

Yes, those problems rumble on. Sanderson Motorhouse gave me a courtsey car.

The courtesy car broke down after 48 hours (it had everything except reverse, and I guess that could be important).

Finally on Friday, hours before I was due to drive here and days after the first car broke down, the ever patient Sam at Sanderson told me they had a Ford Ka. Great.

I could fit one of our six bags in the boot. Not Great. Hey, at least it reverses.

The dying Renault Laguna, which coughed and spluttered its last on Friday 13th, is now in pieces at Evans Halshaw, sister garage of Sanderson.

They've stripped it down. And that's about it. Yes, I know its been seven days since the car broke. I'm sure there's some rational, complicated reason only mechanics and not mortals can understand.

Of course, they told me two days ago the paperwork was all in place. Then hours before today's hol they told me it wasn't. But, I'm on holiday, nothing can get me down.

I'm in a good mood. Partly the Radisson's £5.50 a glass 2002 Californian Shiraz. Mostly all the attention thisisplymouth has been getting.

The Guardian ran a hugely positive blog on us today, thanks to the unique headcam footage, as did trade journal Press Gazette.

Look out for more coverage in the days to come, but The Herald and its website were today recognised as global pioneers. Our website is among the best in the world. Ahhh, satisfaction of a job well done.

But, I'm not resting on my laurels. Keep coming back to thisisplymouth in the weeks to come for more world-news making innovations.

I sign off, with promises to blog from Venice if the wine and ice cream don't get in my way.

No comments: