A blog from The Herald and www.thisisplymouth.co.uk

Wednesday 27 February 2008

EARTHQUAKE

Well I survived my first major earthquake. I say major, one person injured, a few bricks slightly out of place - but apparently it's the biggest we've had in the country for 25 years. 5.2 on the Richter Scale so I'm told.
I wasn't that far from the epicentre in Market Rasen, I was staying overnight in Leicester while taking part in a two day conference in Nottingham.
So you want the dramatic every cough and spit first hand account of my horror at the hands of Mother Nature?
Well...I was woken up at about 12.50am to feel the house rapidly vibrating, with a low growl rumbling all around. It took me a while to figure out whether the boiler was about to blow up or if it was the effects of the chicken satay (Thai style) I had for dinner (with fried rice).
It was over by the time I had woken up enough to realise it was neither. And that's it, dogs barking in the street, a few car alarms going off, and I drifted back to my restless sleep dreaming about the new website content management system I've been trying out (yes, even my dreams are geeky sometimes...apart from that one I had about Angeline Jolie dressed as Xena warrior princess).


View Larger Map



Personally I think this new management system is much more interesting. Probably won't make top story on Radio One Newsbeat, but it pushes my buttons.
Without getting into too much detail, expect to see thisisplymouth exponentially improved before the summer - barring flood, fire or er... earthquake.
PS It's quite disconcerting being in the East Midlands, everything is just slightly different from Devon. Even the roadkill was different driving along the A46 today, no badgers, and I haven't seen so many bruised and battered foxes lying at the side of the field since Argyle took on Holloway's new crew.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Neil shaw. Angelina Jolie. Sorry can't see it.